Pregnancy Discrimination Lawyers in San Diego
Advocating for Women Who Are Pregnant in the Workplace
A woman’s decision to bear a child should not affect her career prospects. Any action on the part of an employer to discriminate against a woman because she is pregnant is prohibited by California and federal law. This protection against pregnancy discrimination extends to hiring and firing, disciplining or harassing, promoting or demoting, or determining compensation and benefits.
If you believe any of these matters at work were decided or acted upon because of your pregnancy, Haeggquist & Eck, LLP can help. Our attorneys will be the compassionate advocates you need to aggressively pursue your best interests. We will work with you every step of the way to help you gain the fair and just compensation you deserve.
Legal Protections for Pregnant Employees
A pregnancy is legally considered a temporary disability, and a pregnant woman is entitled to the same consideration and treatment as any other employee who has become temporarily disabled.
Under California’s Pregnancy Disability Leave Law women are provided with various pregnancy-related protections:
- A pregnant woman is allowed up to 16 weeks of pregnancy and childbirth-related leave in any 12-month period.
- If company policy allows more leave for other temporary disabilities, they must offer an equal amount of such leave for a pregnancy.
- During pregnancy leave, an employer with five or more employees must continue making the same contribution to the employee’s group health insurance premiums as prior to her leave.
- Health insurance provided by an employer must cover the cost of pregnancy-related medical care.
- An employer is not to interfere with or restrain a woman’s exercise of her right to pregnancy-related leave.
- She may not be fired when the employer learns of the pregnancy or after asking for maternity leave.
- She may not be harassed or told that she will not be taken back at the end of the leave.
- She cannot be denied a promotion based on the fact that she is pregnant.
- The employer cannot withhold any other benefit that would be available to her if she were not pregnant.
Legal Assistance When You Believe You’ve Been Discriminated Against
If you have been fired, threatened with the loss of your job, passed over for a promised promotion, or if you’ve been treated differently or have suddenly started getting unfavorable reviews since announcing your pregnancy, you may be entitled to make a discrimination claim against your employer.
A pregnancy discrimination attorney in San Diego may be able to help you recover lost income and benefits, emotional distress, and harm to your future career prospects. Your best option is to consult with an attorney with experience in employment discrimination law to determine your options.
The employment lawyers at Haeggquist & Eck, LLP believe in gender equality in the workplace, which means an end to illegal pregnancy discrimination. We also believe in families. With our legal expertise behind you, you will have the best shot at getting back to work and back on your chosen career track to secure your family’s economic future as soon as you’re reasonably able to do so.
Call Haeggquist & Eck, LLP at (619) 468-5222 today to schedule a free case evaluation today!
Employment Law Services
Why Clients Choose Us
- Free Case Evaluations
- You Don’t Pay Unless We Win
- Top 100 National Trial Lawyer
- Exclusively Represent Employees & Consumers