- Accommodation For Disabilities
California Family Rights Act
Employment Class Action Lawsuits
Fair Employment Housing Act
Fair Labor Standards Act Wage Claims
Hostile Work Environment
Meals and Rest Breaks
San Diego Wrongful Termination Attorneys
The Truth About Wrongful Termination
When people get fired from work, they rarely agree with their employer’s decision or reasons for letting them go. The unfortunate truth about wrongful termination is that simply feeling as if your employer treated you unfairly – even if they actually did – is not always enough for a wrongful termination claim to succeed.
Under California law, a wrongful termination usually falls into one of these categories:
- Violation of employment contract
- Discrimination cases
- Whistleblower/public policy cases
Wrongful discharge cases take many different forms: A hostile work environment is one in which there is discrimination or unfair treatment against a class of employees based upon their race, age, gender, religion or national origin. At Haeggquist & Eck, LLP, we can help you discern if you have sufficient grounds to file a wrongful termination claim.
Am I Eligible to File a Wrongful Termination Claim?
Were you terminated after reporting illegal conduct or suspect it might be due to discrimination? Your termination may have been illegal. If you were fired for a reason that violates the law, such as the following, talk to an attorney about filing a wrongful termination claim.
Firing a worker for any of the following reasons can lead to a wrongful termination lawsuit:
- Serving on jury duty
- Filing for workers’ compensation benefits
- Taking time off protected by the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Reporting illegal conduct performed by your employer
- Reporting sexual harassment
- Reporting violation of labor laws, including collective bargaining laws
- Retaliation for the employee’s having filed a complaint or claim against the employer
What Type of Compensation Can I Receive if I Have Been Wrongfully Terminated?
The damages and compensation an employee may be able to recover for a wrongful discharge lawsuit in the state of California depends on the type of lawsuit, but they usually include one or more of the following:
- Lost wages and benefits
- Back pay wages
- Compensation for emotional distress and pain/suffering from loss of job
- Attorney fees
- Punitive damages for wrongdoing by employer
Workplace retaliation can happen in many circumstances. However, a whistleblower may be particularly vulnerable for bringing attention to an employer’s illegal practices. They may be asked by their employer to:
- To do an illegal act
- Watch them commit an illegal act
Wrongful termination attorney in San Diego can help you recover damages from a successful lawsuit.
Victims of retaliatory firings are often those who:
- Make sexual harassment claims
- Call attention toward discrimination
If it can be proven that the basis for a firing rests on grounds, a wrongful termination lawsuit has a greater chance of succeeding.
If you believe you were improperly removed from employment, contact a wrongful termination attorney in San Diego from Haeggquist & Eck, LLP today for help. Call us at (619) 342-8000 when you feel you need legal representation.
Employment Law Services
Why Clients Choose Us
- Free Case Evaluations
- You Don’t Pay Unless We Win
- Top 100 National Trial Lawyer
- Exclusively Represent Employees & Consumers